All the Extra Wickenburg news you need to know!
APS Wow’s Wickenburg Cub Scouts
Wickenburg, Arizona., The Wickenburg Cub Scout Pack # 299 was treated to an eye-popping, hot dog frying and grapefruit sizzling demonstration of the power and dangers of Electricity, by Arizona Public Service’s “At Risk Safety Inspector, Carl Moore.
After a short video explaining the basics and hazards of electricity, the crowd on hand was lead out to a full blown demonstration in the parking lot.
Moore, who travels the state and does demonstrations for groups of any size, wowed the scouts and their parents with spark flying examples of what electricity can do to you if you don’t handle it properly.
With hot dogs and grapefruits used as examples, electricity was channeled through them to explain
happens to your body, inside and out, if you grab a hot wire. “The electricity of a 60 watt light bulb is enough to kill you, if that electricity runs through your heart.” The hot dog reached 5000 degrees in one second, leaving it split and burned and smelling awful. The grapefruit showed no sign of damage at all outside, but was sizzling and seared on the inside. “With an electrocution, your body may look fine externally, with, maybe only a small burn, but 90% of the damage will be to the internal organs and tissues. Electrical fires can easily reach 10,000 degrees!
The kids and parents alike, learned, or “re-learned” valuable tips like
· Close the toilet lid and shut off all water if you are running a hair dryer in the bathroom. (you don’t want it dropping in the toilet.);
· Don’t string more Christmas light sets together than the box recommends;
· If your car hits a Power Pole and a live wire drops on the car,
STAY INSIDE and wait for help to arrive!
And for all of us who work around the house and tend to ignore those warnings we learned back when we were these Scout’s ages, it was a humorous and vivid reminder to respect that power lurking in those receptacles.
Or we could end up smelling like those fried weenies.
Copyright 2004-2006. Wickenburgnews.com. All rights reserved.